Saturday, November 14, 2009

Oh the monotony


 (view from the lab)
Another day, another sunset as seen from the office window.


This relentless good weather is really getting tiresome. I mean, it's just SO monotonous. I don't know how long I can keep up the routine of:

• coffee in the morning sat outside, overlooking the canyon,
• a quick trip to the beach, I mean, my office
• a walk along the beach to freshen up before working
• Lunch sat on the cliff top overlooking the sea
• a spot of conversation on the philosophical meaning of 'virtual' and how that can be reduced down to a logo
• various lectures on plate tectonics. lots of maths and equations so a good time for a nap as I don't understand shit of that stuff.
• Perusal of huge geophysics text books, just looking at all the awesome patterns made into models of planets
• A little bit of drawing, some photography, a bit of designing.....

This is KER-RAZY!

I may have to break up the monotony by taking out one of the canoes on the beach so I can see, and not just hear, the sea lions that hang out at the base of the cliff I work from. Or maybe I'll try a spot of para-gliding from up the hill. That could be an alternative method of commuting to work. Tough choices to make.

(my office [left window])

Seriously, this place is out of control picture perfect. Even the sunset looks totally fake, with fluffy little clouds bordering the sun like a cheesy postcard. I swear it's all gotta be green screened - it's just not believable (I think that's also known as unbelievable).


(another sunset....)

It's so hard to take photographs that don't look like tourist postcards. I'm really trying but it's just SO like a postcard here. Everything checks out to the mental picture I had of California. From the houses, to the wildlife, the surfers - even skateboards are shaped like pointed elipses like you'd see from some 70's documentary on Californian counter culture.

And if all that isn't hard enough to deal with, I also have to put up with "TG", 'Thank God It's Friday'. This is a grad student bar set up on a place literally right on the beach and all you pay is $1 for a beer. Oh and it's BYO cup. Doesn't matter how big the cup is, it's still only $1. Even lugging down a mug the size of a keg, they didn't bat an eyelid. They just filled that puppy up and I slapped down my crisp $1 bill. That's like, 60 pence a beer. That's probably less than beer cost in WW1. My liver's got no chance now. It's totally my new favourite bar. Ever.

1 comment:

  1. Sold! I think I'm going to have to pester Stegman until he breaks & gives me a job. Clayton is cloudy today. It makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete