Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Target of 0.1% knowledge of geophysics achieved!






I set my targets of understanding high, and I'm happy to say I've reached an amazing level of 0.1% from a talk given here at the university with the scientist I'm working with.

While not as entertaining as photos of dead skunk, I thought I'd put up some pictures of scientists-in-action-using-my-designs. There is a high probability this post is only exciting to me, but well, let's be honest here - this is a blog. Which is an electronic manifestation of narcissism. It's all about me.



This was a presentation given to a bunch of super smart people here at SCRIPPS (when I've hit my  remaining target of 99.9% of knowledge to understand I will be able to explain what that acronym stands for. At the moment all I can say is it's something to do with scientists at a really prestigious university who mostly have beards and wear sandals). These scientists are so smart they carry back-up socks in secret pockets of their shorts, in case the weather gets a little nippy and sandals alone aren't enough (always thinking!).

I think I understood about 20% of the talk. Which I feel quite proud about. You want to know about Plate Tectonics? Well come talk to me. I can tell you 20% of the story. Actually it's probably more like 0.1% but that percentage has been no mean feat to achieve. I've had to look at countless pictures in geophysics text books to get there. And finding geophysics text books with pictures in the first instance is no easy task. All those equations and theory BLAH BLAH BLAH. Cut to the pictures people!


(my new logos for the lab unveiled!!)

And in summary of my poll about what the images in my previous post represented, your comments were greatly appreciated and encouraging. I can now say, with pride, that I am skilled in creating imagery of dead foetuses and/or bacteria, and/or aliens. I'm clearly right on the mark for making imagery associated with fluid dynamics of the earth and other planets. Your serious and thoughtful feedback has been invaluable. Really boosted my confidence. You guys are the best.

4 comments:

  1. sweet logos cla!

    we should chat ... we now have a common language (maybe we can use it to educate me on typography?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you spend too much time in your question to find out what it stands for, I should probably mention that Scripps is not actually an acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just going to say the that according to the latest doomsday movie 2012 we are all going to die soon anyway - not sure about exact year as you can't catch all the details - So next time they are banging on about plate tectonics shout (from the back of the room) that they all on the precipice of existence and that soon they will all be falling off ! Suck that Fault line RockNerds..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checked in after a week or so absence...loving the blog! Keep going - and it definitely looks better than London. Joanne.

    ReplyDelete