Monday, November 16, 2009

Typographic signage crisis hits San Diego!

First, some background reading.

Read this first. 

I HATE Helvetica so the first para really threw me. But by the end of this article I was in agreement. Despite the weather being better than Australia, coupled with the comparison of London winter - it's all ruined because the typography of signage everywhere here is so offensive.

I see no reason to stay here anymore.

If I see one more sign in Comic Sans, I'm going to vow never to return to this god forsaken land of typographic abuse..

The copywriting here is also quite entertaining. It's all SO literal.

Examples:
1. A fast food mexican place as seen from the highway with a huge sign erected over the building. In billboard sizing it read simply, "It's a Taco shop", with an arrow pointing down just in case you have no brain cells, or could not tell what cuisine you are eating while at the counter ordering a Taco. Shit, you guys serve Taco's here?




2. Coupons in the mail for various services. One for a Podiatrist. The campaign pitch: "Diabetes" (how unique). The strapline: "It's a matter of life and limb" (I think there might be a few endocrinologists out there who would argue there may be a bit more to it than that. But then, what would they know.)

1 comment:

  1. I know there is a large group of people out there really into fonts ... but i just don't get them. I think it's how my brain is wired. I can detect really bad ones, but in my mind there is then just a big grouping of ok ones. Sorry to have to admit this on your blog ... perhaps you can develop a tutorial for the illiterate in a future post. It is something i'd like to work on. honest.

    ReplyDelete